Colegio Leon Pinelo - Jewish Day school is the only school in Lima serving its strong 2,500 Jewish Community. It was established as an independent school in 1945 to provide general and Jewish education at the highest international standard of quality to children of Jewish families. Leon Pinelo turned 70 years old in 2016. It is, and has been for decades, considered one of the best schools in Peru.
Colegio Leon Pinelo
|Name of school||Colegio Leon Pinelo|
|Type||Non-ORT institution participating in ORT programs|
|Age range||Preschool, Elementary, Junior High, High School|
Hebrew and Jewish Studies represent an important part of our curriculum. Leon Pinelo has Spanish as the language of instruction and Hebrew is delivered as a second language together with English. The teaching of Hebrew is worked through a series of programmes across all levels of the school. Jalav uDvash, Tal Am, Lehatliaj beIvrit and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Language B Hebrew Programme are used. They also have Ulpan for students new to school.
Shabat is honoured every Friday in Pre School. The weekly Torah portion, the Parasha, is studied. All Jewish Festivals are celebrated and Tefilá takes place every morning.
Many courses that cover varied topics from Judaism as a form of Life, Tanaj, Talmud, Shoa, History of the Jewish people, Philosophy of Judaism and Israel as the Centre of the Jewish World to Current Israeli events, among others are taught. Shira is delivered to the smaller children and the older girls and mothers and alumni enjoy Rikudim.
Leon Pinelo has started participating more actively in many ORT projects and competitions ranging through all areas and disciplines, from videos to essays.
Leon Pinelo is on its way to becoming a totally digital school implementing the Leon Pinelo 2.0 policy. In this context it works hand in hand with ORT. This includes funding for Science investigation projects, ecological matters working closely with our Green Team, active participation in contests and Camps and technological support. All these projects bring a significant upgrade to the school's Science and ICT Departments and strengthen the ORT connection.
General Education and Extra-curricular Activities
The school offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme in Grades 10 and 11 and is also certified internationally every year by the University of Cambridge for English and the Bar Ilan University for Hebrew.Arts including Peforming Arts, Percussion, Dance and Choir, and Sports extra-curricular activities such as Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Track and Athletics, are available to all ages and include inter-school competitions. Leon Pinelo has a Chess Club and a Debate Programme.
After school extra support classes are offered to students with additional learning needs at the EALP (Escuela de Apoyo Pedagógico Leon Pinelo) together with special programmes to support the families of these students.
The school also benefits from a number of educational partnerships:
- Local universities - the school has in place agreements with several universities to accept its best students directly and exempt them from entry erxams. The school of English at a local private university also provides the English program for Colegio Leon Pinelo at high school level.
- Encylopedia Britannica Educational Program - in addition to their books and online content, Britannica offers teacher training on using their tools in the classroom. Together with Britannica, the school has also run teacher training on making effective use of Britannica's educational materials for other schools.
- CHAIL (Chinuch Yehudi la'Tfutzot) - CHAIL is a program run by the Jewish Agency to enhance high school Jewish education in Diaspora countries. The program provides educational support for several Jewish Studies projects at the school, and also provides bursaries for students whose families cannot afford to cover the full cost of a school trip to Israel for students finishing their fourth year of high school.
- The school works closely with the Educational Center for the Holocaust and Humanities on various projects.
- The school works with Yad Vashem in Israel sending teachers to Seminars.
- Students participate in social responsiblity programmes including close contact with the Bikur Jolim, the home for the elderly of the peruvian Jewish Community.
- Close contact is kept with the WZO World Zionist Organisation and members of Staff attend Seminars and Conferences in Israel.