The ORT-KesherNet Center in Rybinsk for information and communication technologies began its operations in 2003. It is housed in a family resource centre.
|Name of Center||ORT-KesherNet Center|
|Age range||Preschool, Adult education and training|
The main aim of the centre is to improve the social and economic status of socially vulnerable segments of the population by providing training for professional work with new information technologies. The centre’s target audience includes unemployed women, disabled people, elderly people and young students. Members of the Jewish community also access the centre.
In 2009 the centre became a part of the global HP GET-IT (now called HP LIFE) initiative to accelerate micro-entrepreneurship. This is a global program that trains students, potential entrepreneurs and small business owners to harness the power of IT in order to establish and grow their businesses.
Since 2010 the centre has partnered with Microsoft to implement a not-for-profit program to boost levels of computer literacy in the region.
The centre runs a wide variety of courses. Training manuals, presentations and handouts are developed for every course. Upon graduation of a course, all students receive certification.
A number of seminars and consultations are held in a mobile class, in particular addressing job searching.
Fundamentals of Computer Literacy
This course covers the fundamentals of working with basic PC software and hardware, text editors, Internet services, and anti-virus software. The course can be tailored to the specific needs of more elderly students.
Introduction to the Internet
This course covers the history and structure of the Internet, as well as working with browsers and e-mail clients.
This course covers the fundamentals of working with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets – for example, making calculations, drawing graphs and creating charts. Particular attention is paid to solving practical problems, such as the calculation of a final loan amount or the calculation of interest on a loan.
This course is devoted to the study of image editing, correction of defects in photos, and creating collages.
This course provides an introduction to HTML and hypertext, to web design – including animation and multimedia, to CSS and SSI programming languages, and to website architecture.
Microsoft Design Capabilities
This course provides an overview of design features of Microsoft software, such as working with images in Paint or creating a film in Movie Maker.
ICT for Beginner Entrepreneurs
This course runs under the framework of the HP LIFE program. It offers both in-person and distance learning, consisting of a series of independent 2 hour thematic modules. A number of graduates from this course go on to find employment or open their own business.
The course includes the study of the foundations of economic thought, economic relations, management of intellectual capital, career guidance and principles of the family economy.
"Computer for Life"
The course is developed by ORT-SPb Vocational Training Centre and experts of ORT-Yekaterinburg Vocational Training Centre with the aim to help aged people to study the basics of IT and adapt to life in digital society.
This course consists of three modules:
Module 1 "Medical Passport" (18 hours).
1) Make an appointment to see a doctor. Online expert advice.
2) Search for media resources on medical subjects. Search for medical services. Search medicins. Online pharmacy.
3) Journal of doctor visits. Archives of Medical Research in Excel.
4) Scanning documents.
Module 2: Electronic finance (18 hours)
1) Register on the portal of public services
2) The tax debt, penalties.
3) Electronic payments. Electronic wallets. Online store.
4) Electronic family budget. Family financial calculations in spreadsheets.
Module 3: Information flows (18 hours)
1) Collection of news from all sites in one place.
2) Search, download and use a variety of file formats for electronic books.
3) Exchange of large information flows.
- The centre has a wide range of interactive educational software on the topics of Jewish holidays.
- All information and publicity materials for local Jewish community events are prepared by the centre. In addition, the centre is actively involved in designing the community’s monthly newspaper “Beseder”.