ORT "Mishpahteinu" Secondary School # 12, Kazan
ORT "Mishpahteinu" Secondary School # 12 is situated in the centre of Kazan, the capital of the Tatarstan Republic in Russia. It is the result of cooperation between World ORT and the Tatarstan educational authorities. The school caters for students from the 1st through to the 11th grade and operates out of two buildings - one for elementary grades, the other for middle and senior grades. It has official status as a municipality-subsidised educational institution.
|Name of School||ORT "Mishpahteinu" Secondary School # 12|
|Age range||Elementary, Junior High, High School|
Alongside the general education provided in accordance with the Russian Federation National Curriculum and Curriculum of Tatarstan Republic, the school also specializes in two advanced tracks of study supported by ORT: Jewish education and technology education. Curricula for these tracks make use of modern computer technology, interdisciplinary study and project-based learning.
Hebrew language study is provided for all students from 1st to 11th grade.
- Elementary Hebrew study follows the TaL AM program for students in 1st to 3rd grade. It quickly develops spoken language skills, allowing students to communicate from the very start about a variety of topics - from the weather to the traditions of the Jewish people. TaL AM classrooms are equipped with technology that supports the use of visual aids, movies, CDs and a variety of games. The Ministry of Education of the State of Israel coordinates the school’s activity on this program and provides training for teachers.
- Middle schools students (4th to 5th grade) learn Hebrew following the Heftsiba program.
- High school students (6th to 11th grade) learn Hebrew following the NETA program.
In 2015 two Hebrew labs were equipped with multimedia facilities provided by ORT.
This subject is taught from 4th to 11th grade. It begins in 4th grade with a residential Shabbaton at the start of the year for students and their families to spend time with teachers and to familiarize themselves with the fundamentals of the Jewish tradition.
Jewish and Israeli literature is studied in the 5th to 11th grades. Students are introduced to Jewish and Israeli writers – both classic and modern. Through engaging with this creative work, students learn about Jewish history, traditions and ways of life.
This course is taught to students in the 5th to 11th grades. The course material has been specifically developed by staff at the school.
The Geography of Israel is taught in the 6th to 9th grades, to familiarize students with the map, land, climate and flora & fauna of Israel.
This subject is taught from 1st to 6th grade, with the help of visual aids and multimedia devices. In addition, the school organizes meetings and concerts with Israeli artists, musicians, singers and actors.
Informal Jewish education
Secondary School # 12, ORT “Mishpahteinu” is an integral part of Kazan’s Jewish community. All Jewish holidays are celebrated by the community with the active participation of school students, teachers, parents and graduates. A group of school alumni is one of the most active organizers of Jewish events in the city.
Looking to the future, the main strategic direction for the school is to improve the provision of its informal Jewish education: making use of music, drama, video and even closer liaison with other community organizations.
Jewish Education Projects
Multimedia equipment and Internet allow the active use of distance technology in the educational activity. School is a member of several distance projects. One of them is a Teumim project aimed at communication of "ORT-Mishpahteinu" School students with students from twin-schools in Israel, Rishon. The purpose of the project is to increase the level of Hebrew language through direct contact with native speakers in Israel, familiarity with the life of an Israeli school.
Since the establishment of the ORT Technology Centre in Kazan in 2000, LEGO-Education sets are often used in technology lessons. They are useful for developing students’ problem-solving skills and their practical motor abilities. This course is provided for students of the 5th-8th and 10th grades.
This extra-curricular course is provided to students of the 4th grade who learn to assemble and program mechanisms, making use of modern robotic construction kits. The school takes part in the national ORT Robotics Olympiad.
The staff of ORT "Mishpahteinu" Secondary School # 12 and ORT Technology Centre provide organizational support and participate in the Jury of the Robotraffic category at the All-Russian Robotics Olympiad.
In March 2017 a team from ORT “Mishpahteinu” School participated at the Nadav Shoham RoboTraffic Competition held at the Technion and took the 3rd place in two categories: “High Speed Driving” and in team scoring.
This course is taught in the 5th to 10th grades. Students learn about the history of computing, together with modern methods of information storage, transmission and processing. They become acquainted with Pascal programming language, algorithmic design and features of writing and debugging programs. The course is very popular amongst students planning to continue their education at technical universities. Since 2011, the school is able to offer ICT training under the framework of the CISCO Networking Academy.
Since 2015 the School Video Studio, equipped by ORT, began its work. It prepares news-blocks about the life of ORT "Mishpahteinu" Secondary School # 12 and puts them on a YouTube channel.
Since 2017 the Digital TV Video Studio project has been implemented in ORT “Mishpahteinu” School, including professional retraining of the Studio’s leader, upgrading facilities and supporting the teaching and production process.
An extra-curricular “Audio and video technology” course is also provided.
As part of ORT’s STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) project in the FSU, the number of hours of STEM study has increased significantly in the school in recent years. Teachers receive regular methodological training and support for the preparation of modern teaching materials for primary and secondary school.
Contributions to the national education system
- In 2015 and in 2017, Secondary School # 12, ORT “Mishpahteinu” topped the rating of the best secondary schools of Kazan.
- Kazan ORT organizes and conducts workshops for managers in the education system. In particular, the Kazan ORT Technology Centre – opened in 2000 – has attracted the attention of educational leaders across the region.
- Kazan ORT has participated in the development of an "Educational Portal" for schools in the Republic of Tatarstan (https://edu.tatar.ru/logon), and provided expertise on how to make this into a user-friendly resource.
- Secondary School # 12, ORT “Mishpahteinu” was the first school in Kazan to implement “Net-School” – a school-wide management information system. In 2008 the school received permission to use this electronic system as its official recording system, rather than needing to maintain paper records. Experts from the school now train colleagues at other schools in the Tatarstan Republic on using electronic information management systems.
- Given its status as the only school in the Tatarstan Republic with a Jewish character, the school organizes a teacher training course on the Holocaust, in cooperation with the Yad Vashem Institute. After successfully completing the course, teachers attend a two week traineeship at Yad Vashem.
- In 2013, the school was recognised as a vanguard school in the region for the use of ICT in pedagogical practice and management, and received a diploma award from the organization committee of the All-Russia project, "School of the Digital Era".